Baby Checklist - preparing for your newborn's arrival
Chances are you've already obtained, or at least have made a note to get, the larger items your newborn baby will require, like a bed, changing table, clothes, the first packet of diapers etc. But it's the little things that you'll probably forget, or didn't realise you needed in the first place, that will see you suddenly dashing out to the nearest store in a mad panic.
So here is a 'baby checklist' of the things you'll need for your little one's homecoming.
For the Mother:
- At least two nursing bras
- Nursing bra pads
- Breast Pump
- Tops that allow easy breastfeeding
For the Baby:
- Clothes - don't forget beanies and socks
- Crib mattress
- Crib 'bumper'
- 4 or 5 washable crib sheets
- Changing Table
- Car Seat
- Baby Wagon
- Baby monitor
- Two or three hooded bath towels
- Baby wipes (wet)
- Baby paper towels (dry)
- At least two large packets of diapers
- Cotton buds
- Three or four small face towels (soft)
- Three or four small towels - normal variety
- Changing bag to carry diapers, wipes etc.
- Two or three pacifiers
- Feeding bottles (even if breastfeeding, keep a couple of bottles handy)
- Cleaning brush for bottles
- Nipples for feeding bottles - different hole sizes, and get at least 4 in case of breakage
- Plastic bath
- Gentle soap for babies
- Baby oil
- Baby brush and comb
- At least three blankets
- Packet of baby milk formula (for newborns)
- Nail scissors
That basically covers the essentials. There are of course many optional items you can (and probably will) purchase for your baby, but the important thing is to have the items that your newborn will definitely need at your disposal when you need them. The above 'baby checklist' might seem like a lot, but you'd be surprised just how much your new small little package requires.